Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Safari web browser

Recently Apple released beta version of it's web browser Safari. What is cool is that now it is available not only for Macs but also for PC. So I've decided to try Safari.

However my attempt wasn't successful. Browser installed normally but on many sites it doesn't show web links! Only an underlined empty place. I've experienced this in GMail and Google Reader. And that are vital web apps for me, some months ago I switched from Opera to FF only because Opera didn't work properly with some AJAX websites, for example Google Reader. Of course I can replace GMail and Reader with other apps, but does it worth the price? I think not, because Safari bugs with links are on many different sites not only Google. I've read on Digg that some people have problems with Yahoo!.

I think problems with links are connected with font rendering, because some links are shown normally, while problems are usually with bold links. And moreover I've read a blogpost about problems with font rendering on CodingHorror. And on Digg discussion there are two main lines of opinions: "Font rendering on Safari looks awesome!!" and "Font rendering on Safari looks terrible!".

So Apple tries to expand it's market in Windows apps. iTunes has been downloaded by 500 millions of Windows users. Will be Safari? Life will show. All in all it is beta version and it is made to find bugs in application, so I couldn't strongly criticise Apple for Safari that doesn't work good. And that beta shows that there are serious problems with porting of Mac look-and-feel on Windows.

No comments: