Monday, October 15, 2007

What I've done and haven't done

Firstly, I had written this post to my software blog, but then I've decided that it isn't software-specific and should be posted here. However I'm too lazy to revise it and remove "programmisms" from beginning part.

It is useful sometimes to take a pause and look at what you wanted to make some time ago, what you have done, what you are doing, what's the progress on it and what you want to do.

What I've wanted and what's the result?
  • I've wanted to pass all these labs in different subjects. Success.
  • Successfully finish study at courses of databases. Success.
  • Daily read news from internet. Successful in whole, thought I've sacrificed some news-feeds because it is too hard to read 'em all. Success (may be not full, not sure)
  • Regularly write to my blog (now I have two blogs). Not very good results: I don't write much to them. Thought I haven't dropped and forgotten them, so Partial Success.
  • I've wanted to read a lot of books. From those in list I've read only "Code Complete". But I've read two another books: about C# and "Pragmatic programmer" (Aahh, I haven't written about that! Need to fix that in near future!). And now I'm reading "Design Patterns". And I really want to read any book about UML. Result: All in all I think that's a success, however not following first plan.
  • Write some software to practice. During summer I worked on Egnoly text editor. And now I continue to work with .NET Framework, have some projects in mind and write some code for libraries on C#. Success, not 100% but about 90%... :) Or I'm not objective and too love myself??? May be...
  • I still haven't got a girlfriend. It isn't programming of course but has an effect on mind and mental condition.
  • I still have got chaos on shelves I don't use regularly. Terrible, but there is a relative order on my desk :)
  • I haven't made my programming language. May be I'm too young for that. But this idea still in my head and don't want to go away, instead it becomes stronger and stronger after reading Pragmatic Programmer.
  • I wanted to use Test-Driven Development, nut still don't use it actively. However I regularly try to write tests for my applications. And they give the result! So I think that's a matter of time. May be I'll not become a TDD programmer, but the one who actively and properly uses tests. Result: 40% of Success.
  • I've taught myself to actively use scheduling. Now I use not a calendar but a Todoist and I often don't follow it but I've already have a place where my wishes and plans on this day are written.
  • Something more that a achieved and haven't achieved. Couldn't remember all of them.

What I'm doing by now?
  • Studying
  • Writing some soft on C#, not very useful, but some practice
  • Also reading Design Patterns: useful book, sure I'll write review about it!
  • Participating in open source project Battle for Wesnoth as a translator.

What I want?
  • Make such list and judgement of results rather regular.
  • Follow schedule that I'm making for myself. And make this schedule more wisely and realistic!
  • Develop my relations with human beings :). I don't want to communicate only with computers.
  • Still want to make scripting programming language.
  • Write software on C#: develop Egnoly, common stuff for .NET, and something new, i.e. tool to synchronise my desktop PC and laptop.
  • Study well in university.
  • Continue and develop my participation in OSS projects. May soon I'll be able to contribute to Wesnoth as a programmer? Or contribute to another project either as a programmer or translator.
  • Start project with my fellows. There is no concrete plans on it, now it's a long-distance target.
And again: I want to make this list more clear. At least more clear for me :) And update it regularly.

[Update] Add target to communicate more with people. Just forgot about it :(.

No comments: